A Review of RLA STAAR Changes...
- In 2021-2022, there will NOT be a standalone STAAR writing assessment for 4th and 7th grade.
- EOC English I and II will have NO CHANGES in the 2021-2022 school year.
- In 2021-2022, revising and editing questions will be embedded into the STAAR Reading test for grades 3-8 (field test only for this school year). Samples items can be found here.
- In 2022-2023, there will be a 75% cap on multiple choice items. New item types will be field tested in February (you can volunteer to participate!) Sample new item types can be found here.
- In 2022-2023, most reading passages will be cross-curricular and tied to other content areas (math, science, social studies, fine arts, technology). In TEKS Resource System, you can find a list of books related to math and science concepts under the "Resources" tab in those content areas.
- In 2022-2023, Students in grades 3-8 will be required to WRITE on the RLA STAAR test in 2022-2023. Writing will be tied to the Reading passages, and students will be expected to write in "response" to what they read. This could be in the form of a short-constructed response and/or extended-constructed response.
- Here is a video from TEA describing the Redesign. (Only 13 minutes long...a great overview) https://youtu.be/twRsJOa0s9w